Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Heard You're a Gingham Fan - that or Tablecloths...

My week of lacking inspiration still continues. This outfit, however, was fairly inspired considering I felt like wearing sweats and a t-shirt. However, the large gingham checks in the jaunty green cheered me up some. I wanted something that could be springy if you paired it with a lighter color, but worked for now with a darker color. Pairing with a shrunken cardigan with those little pearl buttons gives the ensemble a bit of retro feel, I think. The skirt is actually a dress that has a built in bra with speghetti straps. I found it at Ross before some BBQ we went to this last summer for about $6-7. It worked perfectly, it looks super cute when it's warmer out just on it's own. I think I am going to make miniature ketchup and mustard earrings for the summer so I look like a walking picnic table, including condiments. All I have to do it carry napkins in my clutch and I'm set.
An obnoxiously funny thing happend to this dress on this day however....I guess it had slipped down a little bit further than it normally sat and *snap-pop* the left strap broke away from the rest of the dress. I had to laugh or I would scream, but it really is kinda funny with how the rest of my day was not going all that well anyway. I guess you get what you pay for, but LAME! Luckily we have a drawer full of safety pins at work. My coworker worked her magic and I was back on track. I have to retack the strap this weekend. Thank goodness for a little bit of needle and thread.
From what I can see on the blogs I follow, most are feeling a bit uninspired and are ready for Spring, so at least I don't feel alone in my need for some sun. Many people have freezing, snow filled winters, icicles and all the trimmings. I'm envious of their beautiful snowy filled backdrops in their daily photos, but I'm not envious of the dealing with all the ice and the cold and wetness of the melted snow. We're so spoiled here in L.A. I crack-up when I see people freaking out about water falling from the sky. The traffic is always that much more insane (when it is unbelievably insane on just a normal day). It's just rain - geez.
I'm originally from a town in Central California called Santa Cruz which is a beach town about 1hr. 1/2 below San Francisco. The weather is similar to San Francisco or Oregon (if your not familiar with San Fran) style rain and frosty/foggy mornings during the winter, so I have never lived in the snow, but it's so pretty. The hubs and I haven't made it to the snow this year yet. We really need to get some snowboarding in. We haven't gone in forever. I have a brand new K2 board, boots and bindings that haven't even been wet yet. Grrrrr....
So I decided I was going to do a small tutorial for the headband and removable flower I mentioned last post. I'll have that up this weekend rather than just telling you all about it. :) It's pretty easy to do while watching T.V. or just sitting around....
ta-ta for now!

No comments: