Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I Feel Particularly Special... (A Day for Patterns)

*there must be something interesting to my right*
'Cause I made this skirt baby! I need another skirt like I need a hole in the head, but it was such a simple and cute pattern. I followed the full skirt DIY from the blog Out Of Order Design.
How I found myself  "Out of Order":  
I saw a picture of a girl Meghan from Out of Order Design on weardrobe.com on a trestle. (If you frequent that site, there are a lot of interesting backgrounds people chose to utilize. Train tracks are a common one because, well, it makes a great picture. But generally they are just visually appealing to me and not a place I recognize.) I thought "that trestle looks realllllly familiar"... I looked to the right in the pic and saw beautifully vibrant little houses. "hey, that's Capitola!" Home!
I've mentioned here before that I was from a small beach town on the California coast called Santa Cruz (about an hour below San Francisco) and Capitola is a little beach suburb (if that's what you can call it) in SC. I had to go visit her site immediately to become a follower, I felt a blogger solidarity. I was hoping to see some fun pics where I could identify her locations, a nice bonus was that I enjoy her content.  She has some fun DIYs and a great style. Check her out if you haven't already.
I have been lightly searching for blogs from areas that I am familiar with. There are a gazillion blogs with ladies from the bay area, which is really quite close to SC, but those are more cities than towns. Seeing someone fashion forward or just plain stylish can be found a dime a dozen in the city, but in a smaller town, that's where I see a lot of creativity, in my opinion. Necessity breeds creation.  My city girl blogs are great, but I appreciate the town chanteuse just as much.
I like to read about people enjoying where they are from or use where they take their photos to reflect more about them. Also, I like to read about how Meghan of "Out of Order" likes living in Santa Cruz and her happenings. (I ran from my home town faster than my legs could carry me when I was 18 and I haven't been back to live since. I'm envious of those who love to live there. It's a little bittersweet for me. I miss where I grew up, but that place really isn't there anymore. It's changed so much, just like I have in 11 years, but it no longer feels like home. It's such a gorgeous place to visit and enjoy in moderation. Some say I'm crazy to have moved from somewhere so stunningly beautiful to um, L.A. but I've never really looked back. I guess I was meant to leave. My family still remains so at least I can bunk down with them when I visit.)
Aren't these wedges fun? I really wanted a pair of navy sandals and this was the form I ended up with. I think the detail on the wedge is so cute. A few too many patterns for me on a normal day, but a little bit of clothing chaos never hurt anybody :)

2 comments:

Kyla said...

Ok, three things:
1. great job on your skirt!
2. that pattern mixing is insane!
3. I am so completely and intensely jealous that you grew up in freakin' Santa Cruz!!!! I can't even imagine - it's soooo cool there!

- Tessa said...

What a great skirt! And thank you for putting the brand and name of the shoes and not just "DSW" - this way we can find a pair if we want. :)